Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Beating Treadmill Boredom

As I recently shared, Indiana has been having some particularly hellacious early spring weather that has kept me on the treadmill longer than I want to be. There once was a time when I had the stones to run outside in Chicago in February. Those days are LONG gone.

I always run with music, for one. I have a playlist of running music that is used mostly for running - when I turn it on, it usually pumps me up. However, it does not typically pump me up for a couple of hours. Lately, I've taken my iPad with me and watched TV for the first hour or so of my run. It's easier to start with TV and end with music, because music impacts me in a way that TV never could. When the run gets tough, I need the music!

Something else I do, as silly as it may sound, is watch the time pass essentially. I break a run up into five minute sections. I try to run for 2.5 minutes, then I count 2.5 minutes. Once that 5 minutes is up, I can check my pace and mileage. I know it sounds crazy to watch the clock like that, but if I don't put some time limits on it, I will check pace and mileage constantly.

Anyway, that's what I do. If anyone has better ideas I would love to hear them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment